Friday, February 20, 2004

An Open Letter from David Codrea

Disregarding Laws We Oppose

An Open Letter to San Francisco Civil Authority


By David Codrea

codrea4@adelphia.net


February 16, 2004


Dear Mayor Newsom (gavin.newsom@sfgov.org), Judge Warren
(wsuperiorct@sftc.org) and Acting Chief Fong
(sfpdpbaf@pacbell.net),


Mayor, I see you are authorizing city employees to perform homosexual marriages, Judge Warren, you are allowing them to proceed, and Chief Fong, you are allowing California law, as enacted by a vote of the people, to be publicly and repeatedly broken without making any arrests. 



I'm not commenting on that issue, per se, so much as observing that you are all three instigating and abetting the violation of that law. 



Judge Warren, you went so far as to state that you couldn't issue a restraining order to halt the marriages because, as Reuters reported, "there was not enough evidence presented showing that immediate damage would be done by allowing them." 



Which leaves me with an interesting dilemma. 



You see, I also belong to a group that is forced by social prejudices to keep a low
profile—often times to hide my choices and practices lest I suffer disapproval and ultimately, life-threatening persecution by the state. 



I am a gun owner and I live a gun owner life style. 



I don't know if I was born with a tendency to be this way, or if it was an acquired disposition. All I know is, I don't see why I should be forced to change. Truth be known, I like owning guns, and am happy with who I am. I hope I suffer no repercussions by "coming out of the safe," but I just can't hide the truth any longer. 



We gun owners have been living and working among you. Our kids go to school with yours. We may be your doctor, or minister, or your child's teacher. We may even work in city administration, or the courts, or on the police force. And we are sick of being abused for simply being who we are, all because of hoplophobic* prejudice and fear. We don't see any reason why we should have to put up with it any more. 



Which brings me back to my dilemma and the reason I am writing you. 



You have shown progressive thinking and tolerance for that which the majority condemns. So I was thinking of coming up to San Francisco and exercising my right to keep and bear arms, maybe showing up at City Hall with a state-banned AR-15 and a couple 30-round magazines, and also carrying several pistols concealed without a permit. 



Yes, I know, it will be a violation of California laws, but you've shown that you're willing to disregard those when it serves your goals. And because I am a peaceable citizen, I should easily meet Judge Warren's criterion that no immediate damage would be done by allowing this. 



So what do you think, if I visit your city and proudly display my lifestyle choices, can I count on your support? As a private citizen, don't I have as much right to disregard laws I find reprehensible as you public officials? Isn't that what equality is supposed to be all about, where no class of citizen enjoys privileges and immunities not extended to all? 



How about it? You wouldn't have me arrested, would you? 



Please let me know if I have your support. 





Sincerely,

David Codrea


* Credit and gratitude to the peerless Col. Jeff Cooper for coining this term.


 



No comments: