Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Commitment (Revised)

My post on Courage got lots of feedback. Thank you. It is nice to get an idea of what the reader likes and doesn't like. The biggest question (or objection)that I am hearing from folks who want to move west is that they are concerned about an income or housing.
It is my opinion that as long as you allow your fear of the unknown to control you, you will never be in a position to move.
Instead of worrying about the details, I suggest that you begin planning. Make a goal. A goal must be realistic and it must have a date. A goal must also be something that you can control. (You can have a goal to move to Wyoming in August of 2006, but you can't have a goal to fall in love and get married.)
Once you have written down your goals, study them. Make sure that they are realistic. Make your goals positive statements. Don't make negative words or phrases part of your goal statement. Read your goals every morning and evening. Visualize yourself accomplishing your goals. Associate with the people who can help you accomplish your goals. Do any study required to accomplish those goals. For instance, if your goal is to become a realtor within 12 months, you should get into a class right away and schedule the exam. You should also begin associating with people in that industry. Read books that will make you more effective.
Finally, once you have made your goals, make a commitment to yourself and share it with anyone else that your decision impacts. Commit to yourself that you WILL move to Wyoming by X date. Once you have committed in your mind and believe it to be so - it WILL be so.

Let me share something with you that my sister found for me after my bicycle trip. She painted this on a manuscript for me 22 years ago. I read it every day and it has never failed me.


UNTIL ONE IS COMMITTED THERE IS HESITANCY, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness.
Concerning all acts of initiative and creation there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans:
that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves, too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. WHATEVER YOU CAN DO OR DREAM YOU CAN DO, BEGIN IT. Boldness and genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.


And here is another quote that a friend just sent me:
"We are continually faced with great opportunities brilliantly disguised as insoluble problems." ( One of my very favorites..I love the two sided image of it!)

No comments: